Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Exploitation in Mobile Market place....

jem villanueva

Beware of fake!!!!

After buying a new laptop in PC Express Greenhills, I decided to go window shopping in the tiangges selling mobile phones and other electronic gadgets. I was looking for a Samsung tablet since everyone in the office is vouching for it. I am an Ipad user so I am not familiar with Samsung. As I stopped on one of the booth a sales lady approached me and showed me a second hand Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. It looks new and the resolution of the camera is very clear. I asked how much, she said 6700. I thought it was cheap considering how fresh and nice it looks for a second hand tablet. Without further much ado, I bought it.

 As I tried it at home, everything seems to be working except that I can’t open the Samsung Tablet application as well as the other apps. I can surf the web but that’s it. I cannot download Candy  Crush or Kindle Apps. I was mad. I’ve tried everything. I reset it several times, clear the cache and Viola! It still won’t work and continues to shut down. Finally, I decided to show to my friend who is a Samsung aficionado and much to my dismay… I found out that it was a clone…a generic tablet with a Samsung cover. I called up the sales lady and complained. They asked me to bring it back to the shop but they denied that it is fake. And although I lived in Paranaque I went all the way to Greenhills despite the heavy Christmas traffic.

 It was a lesson learned the hard way. It was a very sad experience which caused a lot of headaches, time, effort and money. I returned it and they gave me back my money less 500. I learned a very good lesson…I will only buy from reputable authorized dealers and preferably in the mall.  What the hell are we doing to stop the proliferation of clones in the market; not only  does it violates intellectual property rights  of the manufacturers and suppliers of gadgets but  it also fools a lot of consumers. Hopefully, our government will initiate efforts in controlling the proliferation of these substandard gadgets in the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.